When my mom told me that we need to buy a new bed with a new mattress for the wedding I was in utter disbelieve. Mattress are expensive and out of our wedding budget. I would certainly love to have money to sleep on a King bed during our honeymoon than a bunkbed in a hostel. But WTF asides, apparently, a brand new bed is important in the Wedding Bed Installation (安床) process.
Things you’ll need:
- A good luck man ( married man with children – can be your dad)
- A good luck woman (married woman with children – can be your mom)
- Dates, lychee, longans, red and green beans
- Red Envelop
- A kid
- New bedding set ( with dragon and phoenix, double happiness or pairs of mandarin ducks pattern. At the very least, it needs to be red)
- New bed with new mattress
On auspicious day, a “good luck man” will move your new bed in your new bedroom. A good luck woman will make the bed for you and scattered it with dates, dried longans, lychee, red and green beans and red envelope. Nobody touch this new bed until the newly wed enter the room first.
The newly wed will enter the room after the banquet. Before everyone awkwardly leave you alone to have sex, kids can enter the room, sit and play on the bed 壓床 to symbolize fertility.
Traditionally wedding guests will have a little post-wedding party in this room for good luck. In modern time, any friends and family with human decency should GTFO to avoid years of bad karma for cockblocking.
Already know this? Check out the entire Chinese Wedding Tradition Series>>